This page is archived and no longer maintained. For updates click here.


Monday, September 01, 2014

Let's put the 'awe' back in 'awesome'

Anyone who has uttered the word "awesome" in my presence will probably have heard me rant about how the word is overused. "Is Niagara Falls awesome?"I will be heard to say, "Yes! But since you weren't actually talking about it, whatever you said cannot have been awesome." As such I never use it. When I actually do talk about something awesome, I will usually replace it with awe-inspiring for emphasis.



Because this is a railway-related website, allow me to point out that the last train you saw is unlikely to have been awesome. The latest train video online was almost certainly not awesome. But, the invention of the railway, which helped to create one of the most incredible changes in the history of mankind by shrinking time and space while industrializing society was awesome. So, in a sense, trains are awesome, just not the one that just passed you. Take it away Jill!

Jill Shargaa: Please, please, people. Let's put the 'awe' back in 'awesome' | TED.com

No comments:

Post a Comment