This page is archived and no longer maintained. For updates click here.


Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Class 56 before the whiteout

 

In all my years taking photographs of the UK railway network, the class 56 had somehow always eluded me.  They were withdrawn from the mainline before I started taking photos and I have missed their previous reinstatements (notably Fastline) or the right heritage railways to see them.  While browsing through my inbox of sighting reports the other day, I noticed that 56311 was apparently sitting in York Holgate sidings.  Since I was heading in that general direction, I swung by to take a look.  The angle wasn't ideal, but with the "super-zoom" and a bit of balance, I was able to get this shot from the footbridge off Love Lane.  If you look closely, you can see a few snowflakes floating down.  As soon as I took the shot, the weather closed in and the snow turned to whiteout conditions - anything further than the locomotive became invisible.  Within ten minutes, about 1cm was on the ground and still falling.  Two days on, it is bitterly cold and still somewhat snowy in the north - what a strange country!

No comments:

Post a Comment