This page is archived and no longer maintained. For updates click here.


Wednesday, October 03, 2012

The Northlander on CBC

When the Ontario government first announced the sale of the ONTC, I was disappointed by how little coverage the CBC gave to the issue.  As the months have gone by, they have had some very good coverage, often of subjects (such as the native perspective) neglected by other media outlets.

On 30 September, CBC's flagship news show The National broadcast a very good piece on the end of the Northlander and its effect on the north.  The piece focuses on the human factor, not the money that the government claims it will save.  It also provided a national, rather than provincial, platform for the story.

I was very surprised to find that I was in it.  Right at the beginning, there is a shot of the Northlander pulling out of the station.  A man stands up and waves as the locomotive passes him.  Well that's me!  There we are, I have been on national television, I only wish I hadn't had to be there and that the train was still running.

No comments:

Post a Comment